St Mary's/Southdown Challenger
Currently holding the honors of being the oldest lake boat still trading on the Great Lakes, the self unloading cement carrier Southdown Challenger was built as a traditional Great Lakes bulk carrier as hull #17 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ecorse (Detroit), MI in 1906.
On April 28, 2005, the name and registration of the Southdown Challenger was changed to St. Mary’s Challenger with the new name being painted on her hull before returning to service in June.
When the St. Mary’s Challenger departed her winter berth in S. Chicago, IL on April 4, 2006, she achieved a major milestone in Great Lakes history by marking her centennial year of continuous operation as a powered carrier. The classic steamer completed a full season of sailing, laying up on December 11, 2006 at S. Chicago, IL.
March 1, 2007 7:10 AM | Category: Boats